The Indian History and culture are considered a significant part of both the Civil Services Preliminary Exam and the Main Examination 2021. It is a scoring subject if you memorize well. If your preparation for this subject is on-point, you can successfully solve all the questions from history.
Books to study:
How to plan:
· Learn the weightage of the different segments and plan according to the priority.
· For Modern India focus on,
-Foreign powers in India
-East India Company & its rise
-British & others in different provinces
– Economic & various other policies
– Various movements & their effects
– Acts, reports, committees, etc
For Medieval focus on,
– The Mughals, the Vijayanagar empire, and the Sultanate, etc
– Economic, political & social structure of them
– Religious movements- important saints, their disciples, social impacts, etc.
– Other art and cultural impacts.
For Ancient focus on,
– Various periods like the Stone age, Paleolithic, etc.
– Various aspects of the Indus valley and Harappan civilization.
– Art, culture & scripts, artifacts excavated, etc.
– Religious, cultural & social aspects of Vedic society
– Vedas, Puranas, Upanishads, and meaning of some terms like Purohita, etc
Important things to note:
· Learn the chronology of the incidents. Make a chronology chart of your own which helps in future references.
· Revision is the most important thing considering history as the subject is highly volatile.